The Bauer 2S goalie skates are some of the lightest goalie skates on the market today. With that, they deliver a performance unlike any other.
In fact, this goalie skate was voted on by the Goalie Coaches audience as the best goalie skate in 2018. They beat out the Bauer Vapor 1X, CCM Super Tacks, and True VH. Yes, that True VH, the skate that’s made some of the most noise in the goalie skate market over the past several years.
Cowling-less goalie skates? Yes. Bauer changed the game when they released the 1S skates that featured Curv Composite Tech and it’s highly unlikely they’ll go back.
Here’s whats new with the Bauer 2S Goalie Skate
One thing that’s different from the 1S line is the fact that the 2S skate is actually a bit heavier due to the new steel that Bauer offers on the 2S line. Not to worry, it’s only 30 grams and well worth the added performance.
- Big upgrades: New carbon Curv® composite, LS5G carbon-coated stainless steel, LOCK-FIT PRO liner, New heel lock with eyelet comfort pad (the best change in the Bauer 2S skate is the upgraded gel from the 1S)
- Quarter package: New carbon Curv® composite
- Lining material: LOCK-FIT PRO
- Tongue: Asymmetrical recoil tongue (also, plastic pad on the outside which prevents lace bite. Highly underrated feature)
- Ankle: Heel lock with eyelet comfort pad (the heel lock is much deeper than the 1S line, holding the ankle in place and keeping the skate snug and secure)
- Outsole: Ultra lightweight vented composite
- Blade holder: VERTEXX EDGE
- Runner: LS 5G carbon-coated stainless steel (Bauer’s new steel, when sharpening this steel do NOT use a stone! It can wear off the carbon coating, which is designed to give your edges more life)
- Loop: Larger Lundqvist loop (very minor change here, however the first few times using a new Lundqvist loop can be a pain, so this negates that issue)
In the video below, we’ve got a goalie demonstrating a full set of Bauer 2S gear while wearing the Bauer 2S goalie skates.
The Bauer 2S Goalie Skate is released on May 18th, 2018. You can buy them on Pure Goalie.
Bauer 2S Goalie Skate Review
For the money, this is one of the best goalie skates on the market today. In fact, as we mentioned above, the Goalie Coaches audience actually picked this skate as the best goalie skate this year.
And for good reason. Just when we thought they couldn’t outdo themselves, Bauer did it. The 2S skates feature a mostly black boot, as compared to the 1S which featured white lines throughout.
The skates have Bauer’s new LS 5G steel, with a black coating designed to give goalies longer edge life. When you sharpen the skates, do NOT rub the steel with a stone.
Bauer also changed the gel in this skate, it’s a bit softer than the Bauer 1S line down to the touch. The Lock Fit Pro is a deeper heel lock, designed to keep your foot more secure in the skate.
Overall comfort of the Bauer 2S Skates
The Bauer 2S goalie skate line is, in our opinion, the most comfortable skate on the market today. However, note that this highly objective based on our personal opinion.
One of the biggest comfort features of the skate aside from the new heel area and the gel is the tongue. As shown on the video above, the tongue is a 3 piece tongue with a plastic piece on the front to prevent lace bite.
I know what you’re thinking, the tongue can’t really affect comfort that much! It can. I switched to these skates from the Bauer Reactor 9000 and it was night and day different. The tongue system on the Bauer Reactor 9000 line offered a standard tongue and my #1 complaint was lace bite.
Buy the Bauer 2S Goalie Skate.